01 September 2011

Good Morning

We have been busy, we escaped Irene's path by spending the night in Scranton PA... she followed us up there but the hotel didn't lose power. Coming home Sunday was just a matter of planing around all of the roads that were closed due to flooding. We came home to a windblown Greenwich but we escaped the worst part. 50% of Greenwich lost power but the north eastern part of the state had the most problems and I am sure you have all seen the news about how bad it is to the north... at least three covered bridges were lost that were over a hundred years old... among a lot of other things of course. I do not know if it was the one we saw Leanne...I would think that one being on a hill was good but I haven't heard to much about Stowe.
The beaches were closed and we did see a fishing boat that was 'docked' by the beach house at Byram Beach, Tod's Point was closed.(Being me I went to try to get into the park on Sunday when we got back but no cars were allowed and not having anywhere to park I came back home or I would have had pictures!) I took the kids on Tuesday to see the damage and they were still hard at work trying to get the sand off the road and back on the beach. As near as I can tell all of the roads had water on them, the exception being the road up to the secret garden where we were married. All that sand made for unhappy stroller wheels! We will wait to go back for a little while. A lot of big old trees were down as you can imagine but by Tuesday most in Old Greenwich on the main road were cleaned up. Metro North was back up and running by Tuesday, all other lines were up before that, we have a lot of trees that took out some overhead wires...
The Thursday before Irene hit I went to the store for milk and they were out of water already and some people were worried... I have one thing to say about that... bottle your own water....? It isn't hard. :)
We have been busy here. Jeff has escaped to the heat in Texas, it was 94 last night... I think they should schedule that trip in the winter as this time a year is lovely in CT.
Pieper is not wanting to take naps or go to bed. I find her tantrums humorous most times, however I will be ready for the 'twos' to be over. :) Only a year to go! Pete loves to watch her no matter what she is doing, it is all funny to him... I hope he always keeps his sense of humor!
On a side note, gas was only $3.69 in the hills of PA, we haven't seen gas that cheap in Greenwich for years! Most exciting was I found an Office themed Monopoly...won't that be fun to play!!! (on sale, bought in Scranton!!) It truly is the little things........... :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.