28 November 2012

Our brush with Sandy



We were without power for ten days thanks to Sandy but we count ourselves very lucky.
We had this tree and a few others taken down on Friday before the storm, the tree was dead on the inside but alive on the top, we are not to sure it would have stayed up in 70+ MPH winds and it was right next to the house.

The house made it through safe and sound. the big tree in the back almost even with the front window is the one we had taken down.
                                             
                                             

 Katydid Lane one week before the storm.
Most of the leaves were gone which saved us but we had three trees down and the beginning of the lane that took out our wires... sorry I didn't get a picture, when ever we went through or walked up you had to keep and eye on the trees, I was almost hit by falling branches twice just going to get the mail. (yep, we never lost mail service)
We lost power around 6:00 PM, Mom and Dad had left on Sunday morning so they would get stuck, sorry to see the visit cut short and they had to drive home in rain all the way to Iowa but safe and sound. This is what the kids and I did while Jeff was hooking up the generator.  We were able to have lights and heat as well as water and fridge.  We could even use the microwave if you turned a bunch of other stuff off.  I grilled a lot. :)
 Pretty common sight even a week later.

 The size of the trees that fell was amazing.  most of them fell from the top and pulled the roots right out of the ground.
 Todd's point.  I still haven't been able to get into the park.  the sand completely took the road. In this picture they had one side cleared.  The tides were still high after Irene so I am wondering if the 'on the water' walking path around the park will be opened again.

 Another big tree, the great thing for most of the ones that I saw, they missed the house by a few feet but missed!
We did Halloween in the dark, in the house, we went from bedroom to bathroom and made the kids knock on the doors each time and then run out to the living room to give me time to change rooms, they had a blast.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.