So my not so secret passion is baking. Cookies and bread and deserts of any kind seeming to be the most favorite. I do also like cooking in general but theses things bring me the most 'joy'. The smell from bread and cookies alone is enough to make me smile. Lets face it, I have always baked when I was stressed out so it is a stress reliever as well... not that I have much to be stressed about these days. HA!
Since Peter was born I have a sneaking suspicion that my cholesterol is high, while it does run in the family the extra weight I still have from Pete is not helping. Yes, I will go to the doctor soon to check things out formally but until then I have been trying to modify the foods I love so I can still eat them. Okay lets rephrase, I would eat them anyway, I am just trying to make them healthier. :)
What have I been doing... it started with making my oatmeal into flour, adding wheat flour and flax seed to all things right down to the pizza dough and waffles. I am happy to say that after about six or so months of playing I think I can safely modify any recipe to include these much healthier options without altering the results of the intended cookie or bread. Don't get me wrong I still am using white flour too, just not as much.
I am sharing today because I am very proud of my coconut macaroons (Grandma Bauer's recipe, you know the one!) that are coming out of the oven right now. Although, I do think I will cut back on the sugar even more, they don't seem to need it, I think the flax and things give wonderful flavor! ( I already cut back on sugar from the original recipe)
With the modifications and the addition to coconut M & M's ( something else I happen to think is fantastic) i am happy to say I love these cookies! Pieper is of course eating them up but that isn't really a true test as she does that with most of the things I bake.
The 'P's' are calling, have a great day!
We do 50% whole wheat flour in baked good too. I haven't tried flax seed... if you go too whole wheat though most things don't taste that good. In John's pancakes I think he does 50/50... I'm going to suggest the flax seed. :)
ReplyDelete